Skip to content

Jason Lang Scholarship Requirements, Application & Deadline

Jason Lang Scholarship recognizes Alberta post-secondary students for their academic achievements and encourages them in their undergraduate or professional programs.

Jason Lang Scholarship Value: $1,000

An applicant must meet the following requirements to be considered eligible:

  • You must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or protected person (visa students are not eligible).
  • To be an Alberta resident, you must meet the following conditions:
    • One parent or legal guardian must have maintained permanent residence in Canada for at most 12 consecutive months immediately before commencing post-secondary education.
    • Alberta is where the student last lived 12 consecutive months before beginning post-secondary education.
    • The student’s partner/spouse has been a permanent resident of Alberta for 12 consecutive months before attending post-secondary.
  • You must be enrolled full-time in the second year or subsequent year of an undergraduate degree program at an Alberta public-funded post-secondary institution.
  • A minimum grade point average of 3.2 is required on a scale of 4.0 points based on an 80% course load during the fall and winter terms.

Note: A term can be defined as a study period lasting up to 17 weeks. Coop work terms and internships are eligible if the program is a compulsory component of an undergraduate or professional program.

If students:

  • Participate in a 1-year certificate program
  • You should not return to a publicly-funded post-secondary institution during your next academic year’s fall and winter terms.
  • Were you a Louise McKinney Scholarship recipient during the same period?
  • You have received the maximum lifetime number of three Jason Lang Scholarships.

Nominees must be enrolled in eligible Alberta public secondary schools (including privately-funded colleges, technical institutions, universities, and private colleges accredited to award degrees).

How to apply for the Jason Lang Scholarship

Jason Lang Scholarship

Send your completed application to the Student Awards Office of your educational institution. These are the steps to follow to apply for grants and loans.

  • Learn what Student Aid is
  • First check  if you are a part-time or a full-time student
  • Find out which programs you are eligible
  • Collect information to support your application
  • Register for your student aid account
  • Fill out your application
  • If necessary, submit additional forms
  • Wait for Student Aid to get in touch with you
  • Finalize your loan agreement.
  • Take control of your money.
  1. Learn what Student Aid is

Student Aid is a government program that offers students grants, loans, scholarships, and other awards to help them pay for their post-secondary education. You will need to plan for the rest of your expenses, as student aid might not cover everything.

You only need to submit one application to be eligible for grants and loans from Canada and Alberta. Students often get money from both. This means that you might get two smaller loans instead of one large one.

It is important to:

  • Make sure to apply early. Apply early to find out how much money you will receive. To ensure you have enough time to plan your finances, it is best to apply at least 60 calendar days before classes begin.
  • Every year, apply. Student aid can be applied for as long as 12 months. You will need another application if your study period is longer.
RECOMMENDED:  How to Apply for Google Scholarship 2022 - Apply Now

2. Determine whether you’re a full-time or part-time student

Part-time and full-time students receive student aid in a different ways. The process for applying for student aid differs.

Based on your course load and not Student Aid, your school will determine if you are full-time or part-time. Many schools allow you to take less than the maximum number of courses while still being considered a full-time student.

Talk to an advisor at your school if you’re unsure if you are a part- or full-time student.

3. Find out what you’re eligible for

To qualify for student aid, you must:

  • Continue your academic progress
  • Requirements for citizenship or residency
  • Financial need
  • Register in a program that Student Aid approves

To estimate how much money you could get, use the Student Finance Assistance Estimator. The program type and financial need determine the amount of full-time student aid. Part-time student aid can be calculated differently.

There are limitations on how much money you can get. These limits change depending upon your program.

4. Gather information for your application

These details should be available when you apply for a job

Everybody needs to be able to provide extraordinary circumstances

Personal information: Address, phone number, email address, birth date, and gender

Social Insurance Number

Alberta Student Number

Total income from the previous year (Line 15000 Income Tax Return).

Information for emergency contacts

Academic information: Program length, start and finish dates, student ID number (if available)

Financial information: How much money you will get from your parents and other sources, how much you’ll be awarded, what percentage of your income you expect to earn while in school.

Dependent students. Please provide the names of your guardians or parents, Line 15000, Family size, and several children in the family attending post-secondary education.

Married and common law students. Provide your spouse’s/partner’s name, birthdate Social Insurance Number, Line 15000 and estimated reduced yearly income.

Students with dependent kids, give your child’s name and birthdate. Monthly childcare costs (if under 12).

Students enrolled in multiple schools or participating in an exchange/field program. Please provide the name of your primary school and the name of any additional school. Also, include your airfare costs (if applicable).

Students with permanent disabilities. Provide proof of your permanent impairment, copies of a medical note, a learning disability assessment, or documentation proving that you are receiving disability aid such as AISH. with an approximate of equipment costs and an assessment fee.

You can use the Student Aid Worksheet Full Time to prepare all the information required to complete your application if you are a full-time student. This will simplify the application process.

5. Create your Student Aid Account

Full-time students must create a Student aid account to apply online. Access your account to view your inbox and receive important messages from Student Aid.

This account is not required for part-time students. Important messages will be sent to you by mail.

It would help if you verified your identity before creating an account. You have two options to verify your identity:

  1. Verify your identity using MyAlberta Digital ID.
    • An Alberta driver’s license
    • and an identification card.
RECOMMENDED:  FIG Loans Scholarship for Social Impact Program

2. Secure Identity and Access Management System (SIAMS) allows you to verify your identity using:

    • Two official marks at the Alberta High School Diploma Level,
    • Alberta Student Aid Agreement Number (MSFAA) or Canada Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement Number (MSFAA).
    • Canada or Alberta Cashed Loan Certificate Number (loans before 2013).

You may still be eligible to apply online even if you have never applied for a job before. You will only have limited access until you verify your identity.

6. Complete your application

Part-time and full-time students can apply for student aid differently.

  • Full-time students can submit their applications online through the Student Aid account.
  • Part-time students should complete the part-time study application form and follow the submission instructions.

Contact Student Aid if you require assistance.

7. Submit additional forms (if required)

In some cases, you might need to fill out additional forms.

A student with a permanent disability

You must complete a Schedule4 form explaining your disability and the support required.

Also, you will need to submit any medical documentation. These documents may include:

  • Copies of medical letters
  • Learning assessment
  • Document proving that you are eligible for federal or provincial disability assistance.

These documents can be uploaded to your Student Aid account or mailed to Student Aid. This information will not be required for the next application unless you apply for a grant to purchase assistive or disability-related equipment.

You can find more information on the Schedule 4 form or talk to a school disability advisor.

You must submit an estimate of your expenses if you are applying for assistive technology and equipment funding. Each time you request funding, new estimates will be required.

Common-law or married students

If you are applying for student aid for the first time, your spouse/partner must sign a Consent to Declaration form. After submitting your application, the Consent and Declaration form will be sent directly to your Student Aid inbox. It can be submitted electronically via your Student Aid account. However, it must contain an original signature.

Multiple schools at the same

Concurrent enrolment is when you are enrolled at more than one school simultaneously. Online student aid applications are not possible. A paper application must be submitted. It must include:

  • Application for full-time post-secondary studies
  • Part 1 (Concurrent enrollment) of Schedule 3 Concurrent enrollment/Field Study Form
  • Documents from each school that indicate course name(s), weight(s), study dates, and costs

Field study or exchange

You must complete the following forms if you are participating in an exchange program or field study program:

  • Part 2 (Exchange/Field study) of Schedule 3 Concurrent Entry/Field Studies form.
  • A letter of confirmation from your home institution or acceptance letter from your host institution. The letter should confirm the start and end dates and list the tuition costs, mandatory fees, and books.

Studying Outside of Canada

You may need to complete a Power of Attorney form if you are studying in Alberta. A Power of Attorney is a legal document that allows someone to act for you in matters related to student aid. You can also use the forms that lawyers typically use.

Aviation Training

Full-time student aid may be available to those enrolled in either a Commercial Aviation Training Program or Fixed Wing Training Program. A Commercial Aviation Training Form must be submitted. These reference forms can be found in the Applications and Formulas section.

RECOMMENDED:  International Max Planck Research School PhD Scholarship 2023

8. Wait for Student Aid to contact you.

Student Aid will process your application in a few days if there are no problems. Most applicants hear back quickly. In some cases, however, it may take up to eight weeks.

One of these will be sent to your Student Aid account email:

  • A letter from the award committee indicates how much money or loan you will receive.
  • Request for information that is not included in your original application
  • A rejection letter

Request a review of your account if you feel you should be paid more or are unsure why you were denied.

9. Complete your loan agreement(s)

Before we can send the money to you:

  • Complete your loan agreement.
  • Your school must confirm your enrollment in the program that you applied for

All of this will be explained in your award letter.

10. Get your money

One week before classes begin is the earliest you will be able to get your money. Students Aid will pay tuition and any mandatory fees directly to the school. Any remaining money will be deposited into the bank account provided.

You may not receive the remaining money all at once. It may instead be spread over your school year. You can check your Student Aid account or award letter for the disbursement schedule.

We will mail you a cheque if you receive the Alberta Part-Time Grant.

Students with permanent disabilities

Grants for assistance services and equipment

Student Aid will send you information about your grant, including the amount and purpose.

Receipts must be submitted for any equipment or assistive services you purchase before your current study period ends. To track your purchases, use the Reconciliation Sheet.

Any funds not used must be returned to Student Aid.

Reimbursement of a Learning Assessment

Canada Student Grants cover a portion (maximum $1,700 per loan period) of the cost of a Learning Assessment if you are diagnosed with a learning disability.

The assessment is paid upfront, and Student Aid reimburses the cost later. The assessment must be completed no later than six months before you begin your studies.

Student Aid will require you to submit your receipt.

Studying abroad

Student Aid can’t deposit money to a foreign account if you are studying abroad. We will need to see your or your spouse’s Canadian bank account.

Your money will not be available until your program begins. Student Aid will not release your tuition and books funds until you have registered and started classes.

Selection Process

The Student Awards Office at the Alberta post-secondary institution nominates students who meet the eligibility criteria.

If the student has previously transferred to a publicly-funded post-secondary institution of higher learning, the current institution will confirm that they meet the eligibility criteria.

Other organizations offer many scholarships and awards. We encourage you to go to the websites of Alberta’s colleges and universities to learn more about the scholarships they offer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *