In this article, you will be able to know how to apply for the DoD SMART Scholarship for stem undergraduates in the US.
The SMART scholarship program is known for its full tuition coverage and other financial privileges to students on a condition that they interchange the period of post-graduation civilian service to serve in the department of defense facility.
The Science Mathematics Research and Transmission scholarship present itself as an internship program that enhances educational knowledge by assigning research and works to students depending on their abilities.
The SMART program also gives students the alternative to pursue their research in civil service after graduation, offering research students an education and a career.
DoD SMART Scholarship
Established in 2006 by the Department of Defense, the SMART scholarship program aims at providing support to undergraduates and graduate students seeking a technical degree in Science Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) courses.
Fully funded through the secretary of defense office, SMART is a DoD civilian scholarship for service scheme, a fraction of the National Defense Education Program (NDEP).
This program is intended to increase the number of civilian scientists and engineers working at DoD facilities.
It is a scholarship awarded to undergraduates, Masters, and doctoral students who are exceptionally good in STEM disciplines.
The Department of Defense strives to promote its current workforce to satisfy future defense technological problems through cultivating remarkable STEM talent across education.
Thereby understanding the essence of sponsoring the education of aspiring young American scientists and engineers.
The SMART Scholarship Program illustrates a vital element of DoD’s involvement in captivating the best employees and brilliant minds with technical aptitude that will enable the execution of the Department’s mission.
The SMART scholarship for service program is the basis of the DoD’s focused effort to enhance the progression of highly unique and qualified technical labor into the DoD agencies to promote the current technical skills of the workforce.
Level/Field of Study
Hosted by the United States, the DoD SMART Scholarship is presented to applicants who seek an undergraduate and post-graduate degree in any of the following Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines which are;
- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Neural and Behavioral Sciences
- Computer and Computational Sciences
- Electrical Engineering
- Operations Research
- Host Nationality
- Industrial and Systems Engineering (Technical tracks only)
- Information Sciences
- Materials Science and Engineering,
- Mechanical Engineering
- Naval Architecture and Ocean Engineering,
- Nuclear Engineering
The DoD SMART Scholarship for Service is available to students who are citizens of the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom.
SMART scholarship partakers obtain cash awards ranging from $25,000-$$41,000 per year, relying on previous educational experience.
These awards help scholarship students with other academic expenses accredited to the university. They contain the following;
- The annual stipend
- Health Insurance compensation fee of $1,200 per academic year
- Book quota of $1,000 per academic year
- Summer Internships (multi-year participants)
- Post-Graduation Career openings/ job placement within the DoD
- Mentoring by a DoD sponsoring facility
SMART Scholarships for Service include; Summer internships based at DoD facilities and contain a stipend to cover travel expenses.
SMART award recipients are positioned in civilian jobs in DoD laboratories and agencies upon graduation.
The post-degree service responsibility is proportional to the length of the SMART scholarship award.
Students are expected to reimburse the scholarship by working with the Department of Defence in a 1-1 year ratio.
This work is a paid duty within a certain DoD agency. Peradventure if there is any alteration to the original contract coalition created between the DoD and the awardee, it may result in a longer period of required employment.
Multi-year recipients are also expected to finalize internships at their funding facility during the summer with no extra pay.
The number of slots for SMART Scholarships for STEM students is not stated. Its preference criteria are strictly based on merit.
Eligibility for DoD SMART Scholarship 2022
- To qualify for the SMART scholarship DoD, aspiring individuals must be required to satisfy the following criteria:
- Citizenship in the following countries; United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom
- Confirmation of citizenship is needed, and individuals with permanent residency are not eligible.
- Must be 18 years of age or older by August 1, 2022
- Be prepared to take part in summer internships at a DoD facility.
- Be prepared to accept post-graduate employment with the DoD.
- Maintaining a technical undergraduate or graduate degree in one of the disciplines listed above in a U.S. college or university.
- A student with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale at the time of the award
- Awardees must be capable of receiving and holding a security clearance.
- Must be required to get a job after graduating in their STEM field at a cutting edge Department of Defense facility
How to Apply for DoD SMART Scholarship 2022
Applications are performed online through the scholarship website. You can visit the scholarship website to apply for this scholarship at the DoD SMART website at www.smartscholarship.org
DoD SMART scholarship 2022 Application Deadline
The commencement of application for the DoD SMART begins on August 1, 2022, and closes on December 3, 2022, at 5:00 pm EST. Award notification happens each spring.
It is important to understand that this program is specifically for students seeking or studying an undergraduate or post-graduate degree in a STEM discipline to obtain a full scholarship and be profitably recruited by the Department of Defense when done with their degree.
Therefore, the recipient is required to complete a refund in full to the DoD in a situation whereby a recipient decides to leave the program or fails to adhere to the program requirements.
The refund is divided proportionally depending on the recipient’s period to stay in their post-graduation employment.
As an illustration, if you are assigned to work two years for the government and complete only a year with the mind of leaving, you be expected to refund about half of what was provided to you during your phase 1 education.
Applicants are encouraged to ponder on this scholarship for service agreement before accepting seriously.
Applicants are urged to communicate with their sponsoring facility (the ones giving you the job) to define what the recipient’s job duties will be after they graduate.
DoD SMART Scholarship Login/Application Link
You can obtain more information about the DoD SMART official scholarship website here.
- Amazon Student Scholarship Program 2022 – How to Apply
- TYLENOL Scholarship Program 2022 – How to Apply
- Sir Evelyn De Rothschild Scholarship 2022 : How to Apply
- Automotive Hall of Fame Scholarship 2022
- How to apply for AGIP Scholarship for Undergraduate 2022 & Application portal
- How to Apply for Bright Futures Scholarship 2022
- Conestoga College International Entrance Scholarship 2022 – How to Apply
- How to Apply & Qualify for the Imagine America Scholarship 2022
- University of Northern Texas: UNT Scholarships 2022 – How to Apply
- How to Apply for Ehsaas Scholarship 2022