Do you wish to know more about the excelsior scholarship? Good news, this article will provide you with all the necessary information about the excelsior scholarship; please read ahead.
The Excelsior Scholarship is a tuition-free program to make education more affordable for New York State families.
This Excelsior Scholarship provides tuition awards to all eligible students attending New York State’s public colleges and universities (SUNY and CUNY).
The scholarship, joining together with other student financial aid programs, allows the students to attend a SUNY college tuition-free.
The Excelsior Scholarship offers tuition fees only and does not cover the other costs of the college.
Excelsior Scholarship Requirements for Applicants
To meet the eligibility requirements, the applicant must:
- Must be an NYS resident and have resided in NYS for 12 months continuously before the beginning of the term.
- The applicant must be a citizen of the U.S. or an eligible non-citizen.
- The applicant must have either graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test, as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department.
- The applicant must have a combined federal adjusted gross income of about $125,000 or less.
- The applicant must be pursuing an undergraduate degree at a SUNY or CUNY college (includes statutory colleges at Cornell University and Alfred University).
- The applicant must be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term applicable toward their degree program and earn at least 30 credits each year, applicable toward their degree program.
- The applicant has to be in a non-default status on the student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award.
- The applicant must comply with the terms of the service condition(s) imposed by the NYS award that they have previously received, and
- They must execute a contract agreeing to reside in NYS for the length of time the award was received and be employed in NYS if employed during such time.
How to Apply for an Excelsior Scholarship
For you to apply for the Excelsior Scholarship, the applicant has to:
- The applicant must complete the 2022-2023 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the 2022-2023 Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) Application.
- If you are a New York State resident, the applicant will need to apply for the NYS Excelsior Scholarship via HESC at: www.hesc.ny.gov/excelsior.
- The applicant must provide copies of the 2020 New York State income tax return(s) filed by the applicant and their parent(s).
- The applicant will have to upload all of their college transcripts and their 2022-2023 Student Aid Report (SAR).
- The applicant will also upload an official college transcript if they are transfer students with a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Please ensure that your documents are uploaded after submitting the Excelsior Application at the HESC Account Access page.
People also read:
The GPA Needed for Excelsior Scholarship
There is no GPA required for students to be eligible for the Excelsior Scholarship as long as they earn thirty (30) credits over a year; however, the students will have to maintain a GPA which allows for the successful completion of their degree.
How Long Does it Take to Process Excelsior Scholarship?
It takes 7-10 days
The Students must complete an application for the Excelsior Scholarship. The Students cannot apply after their FAFSA and NYS applications are processed.
It takes 7-10 days for the FAFSA and NYS to process before moving to complete the Excelsior application.
The Eligibility is reviewed every semester. If you as a student do not earn 30 credit hours each year, you will lose the Excelsior Scholarship and may not be able to reinstate it.
The Excelsior Scholarship only covers tuition fees, and the student will be responsible for college fees and other costs such as room and board, etc.
Do you know sharing is caring? If you find this post helpful and useful, please do not hesitate to share the post using the share button provided below and leave your questions and comment in the comment section.
Republished by Blog Post Promoter