If you are looking to become an Australian permanent resident, there are a few things you need to know.
Australia is a country of immigrants. More than 25% of the population was born overseas, and almost half have at least one parent who was born abroad.
In this article, we will walk you through the process of applying for a permanent residence visa in Australia.
Australia offers a lot to offer those who go there. For many people, it’s on the top of their list to visit Australia and discover its exotic nature and well-developed infrastructure and cities.
Working professionals, students, and seniors across the globe are looking to obtain a permanent residence visa to Australia to ensure they can settle there and enjoy a pleasant life with the many different kinds of Australian individuals!
But, many people feel lost and have no idea where to begin when trying to apply for a visa.
At the end of this article, you’ll know everything you need to know about applying for a permanent residency visa for Australia and the best way to increase the chances of obtaining one.
What is an Australian PR Visa?
The Australian Permanent Visa is designed for those who aren’t born in the Australian subcontinent but wish to permanently reside in Australia and attain citizenship status as an Australian citizen.
The Australian home affairs department is responsible for every application for permanent residence visas in Australia.
They scrutinize the qualifications and credentials of an applicant meticulously before the decision to grant an entry visa. Like most countries, they utilize a points system to determine a person’s capabilities before granting a PR visa.
A permanent residence visa issued in Australia permits a person to remain in the country for an indefinite period according to the terms stipulated in their visa.
They have the same rights and rights as citizens of the country—Australian citizens, such as accessibility to medical care employment opportunities, among others.
There is one difference between the Australian resident from an immigrant on the PR visa.
A PR visa doesn’t permit you to vote in federal elections or work for an administrative agency of the government.
A person who has PR status can sponsor family members to Australia, which includes spouses, parents, or children, as well as any other relatives close to them.
They can access health facilities in Australia and other payments and economic advantages.
Additionally, when a person who has a PR visa has a child in Australia, the child automatically becomes a citizen of Australia through birth.
The Australian PR Point System
The Australian government has made it clear and simple for any normal citizen from any country to determine their eligibility to apply for a permanent residency visa in Australia and any other type of visa.
Every person is given points in exchange to demonstrate their proficiency in a language and their age, their status as an employee, and several other elements.
Each visa category application requires at least a certain number of points to apply for the visa.
Here’s a description of the points you could earn on each requirement for a permanent residence visa in Australia:
If you’re between the ages of 18-24 years of age, you’ll be given 25 points.
If you’re between 24-32 years of age, you earn 30 points.
If you’re between 33 and 39 years old, you could receive 25 points
The Australian home affairs department assesses your English proficiency and grants points according to the PR visa application.
They evaluate you on all four aspects, i.e., Listening, Reading, Writing, and Speaking.
If you plan to apply for the PR visa, you must possess at least proficient proficiency in your language, which gives you 0 points.
However, it’s the absolute minimum requirement to apply for a permanent residency visa to Australia.
If you’re proficient or higher level, you earn between 10-20 points, respectively.
If you’ve earned your Bachelor’s degree or an undergraduate degree from a recognized university or college outside of Australia, You will receive 15 points.
Students who want to pursue studies, or currently studying, in Australia to pursue their postgraduate or undergraduate degree or more earn five points.
These are the basic categories that every person needs to consider before applying.
There are other categories where an individual could earn points on an application for PR, like having their certificate of language proficiency for NAATI and/or completing an academic year in Australia or having a highly skilled job, or having a year of experience working in Australia as well as a few other.
The official Australian home affairs website offers a straightforward online form that allows you to enter your details and calculate the PR points to check if you’re qualified for a visa application.
Categories of Australian PR Visa
There are three primary methods of applying for a permanent residency Visa in Australia.
Its eligibility requirements and specifics govern each one of these categories:
- Family Stream PR Visa: This kind of visa is only granted to the relatives of an Australian citizen or permanent resident in Australia. This visa is only available to relatives dependent on the applicant’s parents and partners, children, or long-term caregivers and guardians.
- The Work Stream PR Visa: This type of visa for PR is open to all individuals who are residents of Australia or who have an Australian employer who is sponsoring their work. Anyone who has the required skills under the skill select professions list and has previous work experience who is currently employed in those fields can apply under this route for a PR visa.
- Business Investor Stream Visa: This visa category was created designed for individuals who are currently investing or running a business registered legally in Australia. They can seek a long-term residency visa to Australia.
- Other: This category is for individuals who don’t belong to the abovementioned categories or have unique circumstances for application. The special circumstances are:
Retire Visa Pathway- for retired people respected in their local community.
A Former Resident Visa The visa is available to those who have a previous Permanent residence permit in Australia or an employment visa that has been canceled.
Humanitarian and refugee Visas Refugee and Humanitarian Visas It is issued to those who want to find refuge in Australia because of persecution in their home country.
The process can be long and difficult, but with the right information and support, you can make it through.
Ensure to gather all of the necessary documents and submit them on time.
Be patient and stay organized throughout the process, and you will be able to achieve your dream of becoming a permanent resident of Australia.
- How to Migrate to Australia From Nigeria 2022
- Different Categories Of Permanent Residence You Can Apply Under
- How to Migrate to Australia from South Africa in 2022
- How to get a Permanent Residence Visa in New Zealand
- How to Apply for Permanent Residency in Canada 2022
- The Canadian Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP)
- How to Apply for Super Visa Canada for Parents & Grandparents 
- Helpful Tips For Creating A Ranking Express Entry Profile in 2022
- Becoming a Canadian Citizen Through Marriage
- How Can I Bring My Spouse to Canada in 2022